IMODIUM® for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Relief
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, is a very common condition, which can cause acute diarrhea. Around 10% to 20% of adults experience symptoms of IBS at some point in their lives.
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS)
While the exact cause of IBS is not fully understood, we know it’s a case of sensitive bowels. For some people, IBS can be aggravated by stress or certain foods and, for some, the symptoms persist for years, which can mean years of frequent acute diarrhea.
Here are some common symptoms of IBS, which can vary from person to person :
- Cramp-like abdominal pain
- Fullness and bloating
- Persistent constipation and/or diarrhea
- Passing mucus as well as stools
- Feeling like you haven’t completely emptied your bowels
Potential Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS)
A number of factors can lead to bowel sensitivity. Here are some of the most common ones :
- Stress. Many doctors agree that stress and anxiety can aggravate your natural digestive rhythm.
- Illness. If you’ve ever had a severe gastrointestinal infection like dysentery in the past, you might continue to have bowel problems later.
- Diet. A diet that’s low in fibre and high in fat can disrupt your bowels’ normal rhythm, while eating on the run can upset your bowels too.
- Hormones. For women, menstruation and other hormonal changes can cause or aggravate IBS.
How to manage IBS-related diarrhea
If you have sensitive bowels, it needn’t restrict your lifestyle. There are lots of things you can do to manage your condition, which you’ll find out about in our Managing Your Diarrhea area.
Do you have IBS? IBS Diagnosis
If you’re not sure whether you have IBS but you’re experiencing some of the symptoms, it’s best to see your doctor for diagnosis.
How to treat IBS related diarrhea
You can treat IBS-related acute diarrhea every time you suffer. IMODIUM® works in harmony with your body to help restore its natural rhythm, gently returning the digestive system back to a normal pace. You needn’t worry that you might come to rely on IMODIUM® or become resistant to its efficacy, as there’s no medical evidence at all to suggest this might happen.